Dagenham gasification plant given planning consent
May 27th, 2014
Planning permission has been granted for a 180,000 tonnes-per-year capacity gasification plant at the London Sustainable Industries Park by Barking and Dagenham borough council.
The 19MW plant will be developed and operated by Thames Gateway Waste to Energy Ltd – a company set up specifically to deliver the project by US gasification specialists Chinook Urban Mining.
The council’s development control board approved planning for the facility earlier this month after an application was submitted in December 2013.
However, the approval is subject to the company agreeing to a £290,000 contribution towards public transport and London ‘Green Grid’ initiatives; £10,000 towards Site of Importance for Nature Conservation Improvements; a commitment to install hearing infrastructure for a district heating network; and commitments to use local labour.
Taking commercial and industrial waste the plant will produce energy while also supplying heat and power to other occupants of the London Sustainable Industries Park.
Waste and recycling companies such as Closed Loop, TEG Group and ReFood UK also have facilities at the 60-acre park in East London.
Of the 19MW of electricity it will produce each year, around 5MW will be used to power the plant itself. The remaining 14MW will be exported to the national grid – enough energy to power 32,000 homes each year.
According to Chinook, the plant will use ‘state of the art technology’ and also ensure that ‘close to 100%’ of the ferrous and non-ferrous metal as well as glass will be recovered for resale.
The company added that the facility, which will operate 24 hours a day on every day of the week, will create around 50 new engineering and processing jobs and five office roles, along with five to six apprenticeships.
Planning documents submitted to the council by Amberley Consulting state that approximately 80.5% of the non-recyclable waste entering the facility will be transferred into electricity. The remaining 19.5% will comprise: 5% metal, glass and aggregate in the incoming waste which will be sent for recycling to local operators; and 14.5% ash.
The documents add that the firm is exploring opportunities to utilise this ash with the University of East London but that ‘assuming a worst case scenario’ the ash could be sent to landfill.
Construction on the plant, which has an expected lifespan of 20-30 years, is expected to start this summer before coming online in 2015.